Printer friendly

Return to homepage

Useful Links

Acas is an employment relations service which is devoted to preventing and resolving employment disputes. It offers guidance to employers, employees and their representatives which is practical and easy to follow. Acas has a number of booklets, handbooks and codes of practice which can be obtained on its website (from how to write a contract of employment, what an employee's holiday entitlement should be to disciplinary, grievance and performance management issues and the latest employment legislation). Acas also has a number of telephone helplines which employers and employees can call to obtain independent, impartial and confidential advice on queries they may have. Details of these are available on the website.

Age Positive
Age Positive is a campaign which promotes the benefits of employing a mixed-age workforce. Information for employers about employing older workers is available on the Business Link website.

Business Link
Business Link gives some straightforward information, help and support to small and medium sized businesses on employing people from taking on staff through to paying them and providing them with pensions, managing them, improving their performance and dealing with other problems and incidents that might happen (such as dismissals, redundancies and other exits, disciplinary problems, disputes and grievances).

Carers UK
Carers UK is an organisation set up to provide a voice for carers. Its website contains practical information for carers and those supporting them, including employers.

Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development
The CIPD is the professional body for those involved in the management and development of people. Its website contains factsheets which provide introductory guidance on a range of HR, training and development and employment law issues.

Citizens Advice Bureau
This is an online service provided by the CAB which (amongst other things) gives details of employment rights.

Department for Work and Pensions
The Department for Work and Pensions provides state benefits and services for a wide range of people. Its website contains information for people of working age, including information if you're looking for work, starting a business, unable to work, sick or disabled. There is information for pensioners and people thinking about pensions for their future. There is information for families, including on child support. There is also information for disabled people and carers.

Directgov provides clear and concise guidance to employees on their rights and responsibilities.

Employment claims
If you're thinking of starting an Employment Tribunal claim or if you might otherwise be involved in one, have a look at the Employment Tribunals Service website for information which might assist you.

Equality and Human Rights Commission
The Equality and Human Rights Commission champions equality and human rights for all. Its website provides practical information on equality obligations in general and the promotion of fairness and dignity in the workplace.

Health and safety
The Health and Safety Executive is responsible for health and safety regulation in Great Britain. All employers and workers need to be aware of issues that affect their health and safety at work. This website provides useful information online. You can also order publications from it and obtain the details of the HSE's telephone helpline.

HM Revenue & Customs
The Revenue's website has helpful sections for individuals and employees on the one hand and employers on the other. It deals with PAYE liabilities, tax credits, the national minimum wage, child benefits, self assessment and self employment issues.

Information Commissioner's Office
The Information Commissioner's Office is responsible for regulating and enforcing the access to and use of personal information. If you have a data protection query, have a look at this website.

Jobcentre Plus
Jobcentre Plus provides help and advice on jobs and training for people who can work and financial help for those who can't. Its website has separate sections for individuals and for employers. The employers' section provides information on programmes such as New Deal and Access to Work and use of the disability symbol.

National Minimum Wage
Use this website and the links contained within it if you want to obtain information about the minimum amount that you should currently be paying or receiving (the national minimum wage).

Office of Public Sector Information
If you want to have a look at any UK legislation introduced from 1987 onwards, access this website to print it out or read it online.

Personnel Today
This is an online version of the Personnel Today magazine containing current HR news. The website offers a free archive of articles and information on employment related legislation.

Email: | Enquiry form

In order to view the embedded animation, you must first enable Javascript and/or get the Adobe Flash Player. We apologise for the inconvenience.

SRA number 404293